Day Four

Day four…the chickens are still alive and well and I’m still alive and well too. I’m getting the hang of this now and it’s not AS bad as I thought it would be, especially now that the ground is drying up and I’m not slipping and sliding all over the place.

However, now that the rain has slowed down I will need to start watering the grass and trees. The predicted high for today is 96. If I was the weather forecaster I would just say, it’s going to be a hot and humid day folks. Note to self… Don’t drop eggs on the way from coop to house or they will be fried.

Did I mention that on two separate occasions after securing the coop and putting all of the tarps down except the last one; and right when I was ready to drop it I noticed one chicken was still out? Grrrrrr! I had to undo everything and get her back in. The first time it happened all the chickens got out, double grrrr. Since I had my work clothes and shoes on I just stayed out and raked some leaves and left them out for a while longer. I do learn from my mistakes, now I take a “beak” count. I also told the rebellious hen that she would make a nice feather pillow.

There has been an almost plague like amount of worms and armadillidiidae, aka as roly polys. They are everywhere. The worms are crawling out of the ground and dying and boy oh boy, they stinketh!! Did you know that roly polys eat fungi, fallen leaves and dead animals?

In case you are wondering, still no snakes and I thank God every time. 🙂

To sum it, this is the most important thing I have learned into day four…I am reminded of this quote…There are no menial jobs, only menial attitudes.

I’m thankful for my hands, my feet and my heart to do the things I want to do and complete the tasks I don’t always want to do.

Col 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

7 comments for “Day Four

1. June 23, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’ve been around dogs, horses, and cows, but never much experience with chickens other than the southern fried or grilled type. My sister raises them, and they are messy!

2. Meowmix
    June 21, 2010 at 11:12 am

I can only repeat, “that’s a LOT of love, Janice!” I’ve loved and do love a LOT of people in my 61 years, but I don’t think I’ve ever loved even one of them enough to do what you are doing. I’d throw myself in front of a speeding bullet for them, but not…………..

🙂

3. Paul
    June 21, 2010 at 9:36 am

A few years back when Dad had chickens he told us about a large
    snake in the henhouse. It wasn’t aggressive, but it did like
    the eggs AND the chickens.

I was talking to Dad yesterday about his trip to see you. He
    mentioned that you went to listen to music over the weekend. Sounds
    like fun.

Sometime I’ll tell you a story about Mom and snakes. Very funny!
    We have lost our chickens twice and had to replace them. Something broke into the coop and bit their heads off and the second time all that was left of any of them was feathers and a foot. It was awful. Our coop is super secure now.
    I’ll be waiting to hear that story. 😀

4. Missy
    June 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

This put a smile on my face! I remember going through the entire chicken coop, wondering how many would be there in the morning (because of those naughty little foxes, which are too cute to be angry at)collecting eggs, and feeding…oh and the best part, cleaning the coop! Organic, home grown food certainly seems the way to go! It’s silly, but I couldn’t stop giggling when I read that you were telling the chicken that she would make a good pillow…wish I would have thought of that years ago…LOL..
    ♥ Missy
    I’m glad I made you smile Missy! You are right about the foxes and other critters. I guess we aren’t the only ones who like chicken for dinner. 🙂

5. June 19, 2010 at 3:01 pm

The sweet Christian lady that cleans my house once a month always tells me she does EVERYTHING for the Lord. She has a lot of physical problems, herself, but cleans with smiles on her face and love of God in her heart. We have even prayed together before and it’s wonderful.

Be careful there in the chicken coop, Janice. Watch out for all them critters!!

Sounds like she has a great attitude. It’s best to make the most out of situations we aren’t comfortable with and “do it unto the Lord.”
    I’m definitely watching out for critters, especially the ones that slither.

6. jel
    June 19, 2010 at 2:46 pm

forgot to say,

when trying to get the chickens back in, just tell them the last one in will go good with dumpings!
    works with ours 😉

I will have to remember that one, and I DO love chicken and dumplings! 😀

7. jel
    June 19, 2010 at 2:40 pm

we have had 2 snakes, in the chicken house, 😕
    and they do smell, but the life of a country girl!
    lots of worms, Girl it’s time to go fishing ! 🙂

take care!
    yes, those snakes like to steal the eggs. I always check the nest before I stick my hand in there. When I was younger I had a cast iron stomach, now I don’t!
    I hear you about the fishing, I haven’t fished in years.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

Comments are closed.