(Beefsteaks in Spicy Tomato Sauce)
This is one of my all time favorite recipes. It has a bold hearty taste and it’s scrumptious. If you aren’t a fan of Polenta then try serving it on spaghetti or rice.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 T olive oil
2 pounds boneless chuck steak, cubed
1 pound sweet Italian sausages
2 teaspoons salt
1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 can (29) ounce tomato puree
6 cups water or chicken broth*
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups polenta or 2 cups cornmeal*
1/3 cup butter, melted
1. In a large skillet sauté onion and garlic in hot oil until soft.
Pat chuck steak and sausages dry with paper towels.
2. Add chuck steak and sausages a few pieces at a time to onion mixture. Cook and turn until they are well browned.
3. Transfer mixture to a large pan. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon each oregano and red pepper. Add black pepper.
4. Pour in puree. Add more oregano or red pepper to taste. Bring to boil; cover. Simmer on low heat until meat is tender.
5. Boil water or broth and 1 teaspoon salt. Gradually pour in polenta or cornmeal while stirring rapidly with wire whisk.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened like cereal. Remove from heat. Stir in butter.
7. Pour polenta or cornmeal mixture onto wooden tray or large platter. Spread in rectangular shape to 1-inch thickness.
8. Spoon meat sauce over polenta; sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired. Cut into squares.
Makes 8 servings.
* I used chicken broth instead of water and I used cornmeal.